The big news for this weekend is FoPo’s inaugural Foster Art Night. As exciting and transformational as new businesses can be for the neighborhood, it is ultimately the community’s energy, organizing, and support that will project us forward. Such events as National Night Out and the Neighborhood Appreciation Party at the Bob White have been resounding successes, and evidence of just how much energy and community pride exists in the neighborhood. Without this energy and community-mindedness, new businesses would be just that; they come and go. But the character of the community is what prevails and moves the neighborhood forward. In that vein, we’re excited to promote Foster Art Night (FAN) as a way to tap into some of that energy and bring the community together on a regular basis.
FAN is another way we, you, and the surrounding neighborhoods can rally around Foster Road to make it a truly great place to live, hang out, and do business. Whether you like art, music, or just enjoy a tasty libation, FAN can appeal to all. FAN fun starts at 4pm this Saturday at the Slingshot Lounge. Check the lineup for a full list of times and participating venues.
In other news….
– The Neighborhood Association is still awaiting Mayor Adams’ proposal for fast-tracking safety improvements on Foster Road. At a meeting with neighborhood representatives three weeks ago, the mayor acknowledged that money is tight, but that improvements on Foster are long overdue. With that in mind, he suggested there may be creative ways to secure some funding ahead of the two- to three-year time line for the Streetscape Plan. Adams hinted he’d email his proposal within a couple weeks. No word yet…but we’ll keep you posted.
– Bar Carlo is hosting a night of “spontaneous music composition” tonight…4/20. Starting at 8pm, in the spirit of mind expansion, a lineup of musicians and tarot card readers will headline the event, dubbed “Mammoth in Space.” Sounds like a good way to get primed for Foster Art Night.
– If you haven’t lately, check out Somaphile Movement Studio. Danielle Cornelius is doing some pretty cool things in her little shop/studio on Foster. In addition to gentle chiropractic and movement therapy services, Somaphile provides workshops, book clubs, and a whole array of ways to aid in women’s health, spirituality, and general well-being. Starting Monday, April 23, Dr. Cornelius will be hosting her monthly “Wild Feminine Book Club” at the studio. Sorry, fellas, this one’s not for you.
– Just as a reminder, the Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association will be holding board elections at its May meeting. New blood and energy, as well as fresh ideas, are always welcome. Please consider how you may want to get involved.
– Torta-Landia will be one of six taco shops participating in the Willy Week’s Taco Tour, May 3rd. For $20, you’ll be carted around to 6 Cheap Eats-featured taco joints, get a sample of one taco at each place, and enjoy tequila cocktails courtesy of Espolon Tequila. Tickets will go fast, so sign up now if you’re interested.
– Don’t forget to wish the folks at O’Malley’s a happy 5th anniversary when you stop by during Foster Art Night on Saturday.
Happy weekend, y’all!