Ah, glorious sun and glorious coffee. FoPo is currently getting a few rays of sunshine (interspersed with the occasional rain drop, too, of course), and the Pieper Cafe is open and serving up fresh, hot Stumptown Coffee. Speaking of hot, here’s hoping the weather heats up soon. Maybe the sounds of Kriss Kross will help “warm it up” in the meantime.
Now on to your weekend tidbits….
– Earlier this week we introduced you to Terri Zgolli of Kidopolis, a welcome addition to a neighborhood growing with families. Now, in the same week, we’re fortunate to see the doors of another business open, too. Welcome to the neighborhood, Pieper Cafe. If you haven’t already, check ’em out. In addition to a surprisingly good lineup of food and coffee options, the space is much improved over the former Yo Mama’s. But, the kicker….pinball in the back. Yep! Need I say more?
– If you missed it last weekend, the neighborhood appreciation party at the Bob White Theatre was a hit. There was a big showing of community support and FoPo pride, and Nick Storie rewarded those in attendance with free pizza, beer, and an exciting glimpse of what the future holds for the theater and neighborhood. Check out our recap of the night, as well as video footage of the bands that performed.
– As the neighborhood improves in some ways, it’ll be up to the community to dictate how it will change in others. The Foster-Lents Integration Partnership (FLIP) is one avenue for you to get involved. The next FLIP community engagement workshop, as we mentioned last week, will be this coming Tuesday, April 10. The meeting will be at the Wattles Boys and Girls Club, and will begin at 5:30. Make your voices heard, and your desires for the neighborhood clear. It’s yours to shape.
– In the same vein, we’re hoping large-scale changes can be made to Foster Road through implementation of the Foster Streetscape Plan. Check out our recap of the recent meeting neighborhood representatives had with Mayor Sam Adams about improving our busy and (often) dangerous thoroughfare.
– Entertainment for the weekend:
* North By Northwest Records is having a CD release party tonight (Friday, April 5) at Gemini Lounge. Several bands will be performing. Catch it live, starting at 9pm.
* Torta-landia’s Groove Kitchen is back. Come listen to Professor Yaz’s groovy goodness with torta and margarita in hand. Music starts at 8pm, Saturday (April 6).
– Sign up to receive our upcoming newsletter. We’re hoping to send it out in the coming week, and it will have some fun tidbits and announcements from your FosterPowellPdx team. We’re also always accepting suggestions, news, and writing submissions. We’ll even take your FoPo haiku if you have one.
Happy weekend, ya’ll!