The weekend’s back, and there’s plenty to keep you busy on and around Foster in the coming days. We’ve got sun, live music, a community garden event and, among other things, your Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association meeting. Enjoy!
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– First off, how about the drama at the Bob White? For those that don’t know, two people required medical assistance at consecutive weekend shows. Both required ambulance transportation. The cause? One can only speculate, but it’s enough to concern the building’s owner, who is now re-negotiating the deal in place with current occupants. One thing to consider: this could happen anywhere, and kids are still going to need a place to dance and catch live music. With that being said, does there need to be more oversight? Is the current venue a good fit for the neighborhood? If not, is it better than an empty space? Have you had good experiences? Bad? Feel free to chime in.
– Secondly, Saturday is a big day for the Foster-Powell Community Garden. Plants and raffle tickets will be for sale; new signage will be painted (by you?) and installed; coffee and pastries; fellow FoPo’ians. 12-4…see you there.
– Thirdly….tweakers. They were here before me, and they’ll be here after. But, geez, how about ’em? I’ve heard some stories lately. Had a few run-ins myself. Is it just my street, or is Spring just marking a reawakening?
– Speaking of tweakers, you gotta love the cast of characters romping around our neighborhood.
– For fear of sounding too much like a cheer leader, let’s just say Performance Works NorthWest deserves more local hype. They have yet another show this weekend, and continue to make the Foster-area relevant in the Portland arts scene. This weekend: Craig Baker & Nóra Hajós perform “SoonGoSee & ComeNowGo,” and Karen Nelson offers “SoloSet.” Check the link above for more info.
– Have you been to MidPoint Food and Drink (formerly Lily Day Cafe) yet? Let us know how it is.
– The Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association meets this Monday at Bar Carlo, from 6:30 – 8. Check out the agenda here.
– Two of our own made the Willy Week’s 2014 Bar Guide. This is not an all-encompassing list, so any mention is good mention…though we’re surprised others didn’t make the cut. The two that did? N.W.I.P.A. and Devil’s Point. Word. Also, congrats to nearby Lion’s Eye for making the cut, as well as their Lents counterpart, Eagle Eye, that was a runner-up for Bar of the Year.
– Weekend music:
Torta: Becky Bishop, Friday; Ann and the Automatic, Saturday
Gemini Lounge: Chuck Warda/Harry Marry and the Barrys, Friday; Ashby Scaggs/Cee White/Brian Todd, Saturday
Starday Tavern: Rock and Roll with Jim Koonce, Friday; Swingin’ Blues with the Groove Tramps, Saturday
Bar Maven: Steven Kray from KMHD will be spinning Funk on Saturday
Have a safe weekend, all.