This last push of warm weather has been nice. It’ll be hot today. Maybe too hot for some, but it won’t be long before we’re missing the sun and wishing it would heat up. Enjoy it while you can. Also, don’t forget to check out the fine work from the folks at FosterUnited.org. They’re putting together good, relevant material for folks up and down Foster to read…whether your in Lents, Mt. Scott-Arleta, or Creston-Kenilworth.
Now on to your weekend tidbits…
- Despite varying opinions on what the future of Foster Road should look like west of the freeway, there’s certainly a lot of passion, ideas, and energy involved with its development. There’s been lively discussion on this site, as well as some pertinent talk on the Foster United site. To get caught up, check out the following three articles:
* Vision Document for Foster Road
* Refresher on all the acronyms and developer-speak associated with Foster Road
* Diary of dealings with city process in regards to implementing change on Foster
- O’Malley’s is in the midst of their Macro BrewFest 2012. Get in on the action: vote for your favorite cheap beer, catch some live music, and, oh, $7.00 for four tallboys.
- Thanks to one of our readers, we were alerted to the fact that the Save-A-Lot at 68th and Foster is on a long list of stores affiliated with the Supervalu brand that will be closing by the end of the year. While it sucks to lose a retail operation, as well as affordable shopping and the closest thing we have to a grocery store in the middle of the neighborhood, I’m sure it fuels speculation for what may take its place in the future. And while I’m sure many will clamor for a healthy grocer to set up shop, maybe the first hope is that it doesn’t sit vacant or become another poker room or strip club.
- Speaking of retail space, there’s plenty of it on this stretch of Foster. Whether it’s the apparent abandoned building, or the empty storefront waiting to be leased, the opportunities for businesses to set up shop here abound. What would you all like to see on Foster? Dreamers are welcome, but also the realists. What would fit the needs of the community? Or, in an ideal world, what would you like to see in the former Highway 420 space or Phoenix Pharmacy building? Basically, what’s missing on Foster?
- Don’t forget the FoPo NA meetings will now take place at Bar Carlo. Still on the second Monday of the month at 6:30.
Happy weekend, y’all.